Thursday, March 6, 2008

Confessions of an Idol Addict



I confess... I watch it... I love it!! Idol is something that I actually crave come Tues/Wed/Thursday. While many bash Idol for its sensationalism, harsh criticism, or scandal... I admit that I love the struggle of young artists (or for many wanna-be-artist) who desire to "make it".

I also find it intesting to hear the critique of Simon as harsh and cold-hearted as he may come off, yet... he has become the most anticipated critique of those who love him AND those who loath him. What I find is that Simon actually tells the truth to a generation of people who unfortunately have believed everything that thier parents have told them, that is "you can be anything you want to be!" Which, in fact... American Idol has proven that theory wrong. As Paula softens the blow for sappy singers who actually think they have a chance with comments ranging from "you look like you had fun out there" to " I love your outfit"... Simon brings the over-confident generation of kids who actually believed Barney when he said "everyone's a winner" back to the harsh reality that Not every one is a winner... There are losers!

I love what TV critic James Poniewozik writes when he says that Cowell "has led a rebellion against the tyranny of self-esteem that is promoted on talk shows and in self-help books - the notion that everyone deserves to win."

In Idol... as in life... there are losers. That's what makes winning so great. I love Comedian Brad Stein line in a routine he does about self-Esteem... after the race all the kids asked Barney who's the winner... and Barney replied "we are all winners!"... at which the one of the kids said, "what about the the fat kid who hasn't left the starting line and is eating a Ding Dong?!!"

If American Idol is considered Reality TV... the dose of "Reality" is this.... in order to win, there must be losers... Thank you Simon!

No comments: