Monday, November 9, 2009

Beautiful Day's Adopt-a-Hero Story

I just got this email from some who just did Beautiful Day's Adopt-a-Hero. It was a great experience for her and I thought I'd share it with you.

If you have a Beautiful Day story... send it in!!


Jon,

I just did my first Beautiful Day project and I wanted to tell someone about it. I signed up for Adopt-a-Hero, and was assigned to bake some goodies for the San Jose Police Department. I was told that I could deliver the dessert at any point during the week, and since I’m working from home nowadays and don’t have much time to bake during the week, I baked homemade chocolate chip cookies (from scratch) last night, warmed them up this afternoon, and delivered them to the SJPD just a few minutes ago.

Isn’t it amazing how God works? I put on my Beautiful Day shirt and drove to the SJPD (I had just warmed up the cookies, so you could smell the melted chocolate chips wafting in the air). I wasn’t sure where to go, but I saw a uniformed police officer standing by a door and told him, “Excuse me, I have some cookies to drop off for the Police Department.” I kid you not – the expression on the man’s face completely changed from one of stoic professionalism to complete disbelief. He asked me, “Seriously? How nice of you! Why?” I answered, “Well, I’m with an organization called Beautiful Day, a consortium of churches that is focusing on doing outreach to our community this week. I’m on a project that reaches out to law enforcement, firemen, and the like by delivering them dessert.” The man still looked shocked, but in a good way. J He asked me again, “What is the name of the organization you’re with?” And again, I said, “Beautiful Day,” and explained about the program and the whole compassionate outreach thing.

You could tell that the man was touched. He just couldn’t seem to believe that a complete stranger would do something so kind.

The great thing about it all is that there were lots of other people in the room, so they heard the exchange between me and the officer as well. I never got his name – and he never asked mine – but that’s not really the point, is it?
I like this “compassion unleashed” thing.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I'm impressed with the perfect explanation of why the cookies were being delivered!
I will let someone else in our group do the talking when we deliver them!