Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mount Constitution and Laughing Jesus


I just got back from Orcas Island on the last advance for my doctoral program. It was great to be there and i had the opportunity to fly in to Orcas Island airport from Gig Harbor in WA. I was told that the most traffic that comes through Orcas airport are deer that seem to frequent the runway... requiring pilots to do a "fly-by" to ward off any strays. I spent the week at Len's Sweets house... which is another story unto itself.




While i was there I had the opportunity to visit one of the most scenic sights in the US at the top of Mt Consitution. Mt Constitution is a 2,409 ft high mountain on Orcas Island, and the tallest spot on all the San Juan Islands. There is a tower on top of Mt Constitution and a look out from the top. I was there observing the beauty and offered to take a picture of a couple who were there at the same time. They also took one of me and emailed it to me. Since that time we've been emailing back and forth (Kevin and Shari Vogt) from Huntington Beach. Shari is an artist who does stylized custom portraits that are unbelievable! You can check out her work at http://www.sharivogtartistry.com/ and look throught the gallery. Turns out I've already sent her some pics and we are negotiating some work for our family. I encourage you to check it out and do the same.




Here's a sample of her work.




I love how this turned out... I go to school in WA... happen to go to Mt Constitution on that day... just happen to meet a couple from my wifes home town in So Cal... i offer to take their picture... they offer to take mine... we banter emails and pictures back and forth... she's an artist who happens to do art the way i love. OK so maybe its not all that mysterious.




But I think its a cool link that would make Laughing Jesus at least break out in a smile.

No comments: