Thursday, September 4, 2008

Team Beautiful Day and the AIDS walk


The Silicon Valley Walk for AIDS is coming up Sunday October 19th. This will be our 2nd walk (not counting SF AIDS walk), and last year Team Beautiful Day had THE largest walking team. but ironically we did not have the largest fundraising effort. We fell just behind Starbucks. I love Starbucks... so I'm ok with losing to them. But it would have been worse to loose to something that fells wimpy to me like "Team Charmin", or "Team Dress Barn". That would drive me nuts I think.


However, We are mounting up to have the largest team (Team Beautiful Day) this year. WestGate Church will cancel services on the 19th and ask everyone to walk... we will be the church in the streets. Calvary Los Gatos is canceling Sunday services and asking everyone to walk... so is Twin Oaks, and the River. All churches will be part of Team Beautiful Day and will walk as a representation of "The" church of Silicon Valley.


Not only do I feel that its important to have representation of the church in the walk... I feel passionate about a reconnect somehow with the Gay community and church. Rather than focusing on the things that we disagree on and fight over... I choose to focus on what we DO agree on.


That would be...

- A healthy relationship between the church and the Gay community

- A communication channel that allows for respectful conversation

- Caring for those suffering from HIV/AIDS,

- Serving together on Compassion projects that demonstrate God's Common Grace

- Invitations to each others events, celebrations, and service venues



If you would like to be part of the Revolution to stop the spread of AIDS you have two options.


-Walk with me under the banner of Team Beautiful Day

-Support me financially as I walk with Team Beautiful Day


Either way you are making a huge difference in the lives of many in our community.





No comments: